- 2 layer, heavy organic cream cotton twill, non medical mask with filter pocket
- Vintage lace trimming
- Please note this is heavier fabric making it a little tougher to breath through, please be careful when first adjusting the mask to make sure the lace is well below your eyes
- Elastic ties that loop around the head and back neck
- Wash warm on a gentle cycle, tumble dry low or air dry thoroughly
- Handmade by Emma, wash before wearing
- These masks will not prevent you from contracting COVID-19
- These mask are not in any way a substitute for a surgical or N95 respirator mask
- These masks are meant for very short term wears
Mask Information and advice from the Government of Canada:
Homemade masks are not medical devices, and consequently, are not regulated like medical masks and respirators. Their use poses a number of limitations:
- they have not been tested to recognized standards
- they may not provide complete protection against virus-sized particles
- the edges are not designed to form a seal around the nose and mouth
- the fabrics are not the same as used in surgical masks or respirators
- they can be difficult to breathe through and can prevent you from getting the required amount of oxygen needed by your body
These types of masks may not be effective in blocking virus particles that may be transmitted by coughing, sneezing or certain medical procedures. They do not provide complete protection from virus particles because of a potential loose fit and the materials used.
Wearing a non-medical mask is an additional measure you can take to protect others around you (in situations where physical distancing is difficult to maintain given recent evidence related to transmission from persons who are pre-symptomatic or have no symptoms).
Wearing a non-medical mask is another way to cover your mouth and nose to prevent your respiratory droplets from contaminating others or landing on surfaces. Just like our recommendation not to cough into your hands (instead, cover your cough with tissues or your sleeve) a mask can reduce the chance that others are coming into contact with your respiratory droplets.
If wearing a non-medical mask makes you feel safer and stops you from touching your nose and mouth, that is also good. But remember not to touch or rub your eyes. It is important to understand that non-medical masks have limitations and need to be used safely.
If you choose to use a non-medical face mask:
-you must wash your hands immediately before putting it on and immediately after taking it off (in addition to practicing good hand hygiene while wearing it) it should fit well (non-gaping)
-you should not share it with others
-Face masks can become contaminated on the outside, or when touched by your hands.
When wearing a mask, take the following precautions to protect yourself:
-avoid touching your face mask while using it
-change a cloth mask as soon as it gets damp or soiled
put it directly into the washing machine or a bag that can be emptied into the washing machine and then disposed of
-cloth masks can be laundered with other items using a hot cycle, and then dried thoroughly.
-non-medical masks that cannot be washed should be discarded and replaced as soon as they get damp, soiled or crumpled
-dispose of masks properly in a lined garbage bin
don't leave discarded masks in shopping carts, on the ground, etc.
For further advice and resources, please visit the Government of Canada COVID-19 website